The Potato Patch
Bloody hell digging is hard work. The ground has needed breaking up a lot up in bed 7. The natural crop for ground like this is potatoes, because they do a lot of breaking up for you, but I still need to have the ground ready to receive them. So I’ve turned the soil once with the fork, then marked out the rows so I know where the potatoes will be, making sure to leave enough space either side so that I can earth them up as they grow.
With the rows marked out I filled two wheelbarrows and dug compost into the row to improve the soil before I put the potatoes in. This will need digging over again before it’s ready, but it’s slowly getting there
I will say – I know that this is not the perfect way of doing this, ideally I would do all of this at the end of the season and let it all break down over winter, but I have 2 choices – make a start with a less than perfect plot and get some food, or wait until I can make the soil text book and start growing next year. The rules of the allotment tenancy state that within one month of ownership I need to have 25% of the plot under cultivation, so I will do the best I can for this year.
Also, I have plenty of time now.